Site Search

x

Monday, August 8, 2011

Who's Birthday is it??

My summers consisted of playing on the beach, with friends, family trips and much more. But always, we made a trip back to Utah to be with family. I have endless memories as a kid but I recently got to relive an old memory. My mom and Aunt Suzi used to throw Birthday/Luau Parties. But it wasn't necessarily ever anyone's birthday. We just had a birthday party. Cake and all.

They would cut a watermelon into a basket and fill it with food. We would BBQ, do crafts, learn to Hula, and play games. Mom and Suzi would deck out Gramsy and Papa's back yard. We would all dress up and the partying would go late into the night.

This last Thursday, they threw another one. It had been YEARS since we had had one. So my mom's grandkids and Suzi's grandkids got to experience it. The kids and I went over early to help set up, cut fruit, etc. We BBQ'd hot dogs and burgers, made butterflies out of tissue paper and hung them around the yard. Suzi taught us all to Hula, to true Hawaiian music! Gramsy and Papa spent a lot of time in Hawaii when my mom was a teenager, so they have the good music! Then we had one of my mom's famous scavenger hunts and played the frozen spoon game.

It was weird for me as Kate and I walked around with the kids, thinking of when we were kids and it was us that was running all over the yard looking for treasure. I'm grateful that our kids got to experience something that we did all the time. When I think back to my mom and Suzi, I don't know how they did it. They are both such amazing mom's and women. I am blessed to have them in my life.

Brian and Andrea have three exchange students from Japan staying with them right now. Brandon was concerned that we really confused them by having a Luau/Birthday Party when it was no one's birthday. And he thinks they may never return after the frozen spoon game.... :)


No comments:

Post a Comment