Site Search

x

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Heaven On Earth...

For some reason I would like to share about a very special place. During two weeks of summer, kids and teens with cancer and their siblings go out to a summer camp-- Camp Hobe. Camp Hobe is a very special place. I was fortunate enough to volunteer with them for 8 years, taking part in their planning committee. It is this time of year where they accept applications and get really busy with planning camp. Its during this time of year that I often think of camp Hobe.

My first year at camp, I expected sick, weak kids. I volunteered for Teen Week (the campers are 12-19 years old) and was bracing myself for heartache, but heartache is not what I experienced. Walking into the camp, you would have no idea that some of the campers are sick. There is something about camp. It is really a camp where kids get to be kids instead of patients. I have never ran so much, laughed so hard, danced so late, or sang so much. Exhaustion is evident at the end of your week there but what you feel more is rejuvination. You leave with a new perspecitve on life and a swarm of kids who you will forever look up to.

If you are looking for an amazing place to donate to or volunteer your time, Camp Hobe is a great place. I feel so blessed to have been able to be a part of camp and for the everlasting memories and laughs I received from spending two weeks of my summer there. I will never be able to get the Bubble Gum Song out of my head! The link to Camp Hobe can be found under our "Killer Blogs and Sites".

I'm putting up some video's of camp found on www.goodtube.com . . .


A camper's perspecitve...

4 comments:

  1. ... May I just take a few breaths, sentences and or comma's to add onto your post. It is also people like you, that I find truly admirable. You NEVER stop, when I start to feel tired, I often think to myself, well, Jill is now off to her third, forth, or fifth project of the day & I then get another "little" skip in my step! You are extraordiary and I love having uplifiting, inspiring, and loving people like you in my life. THANK YOU FOR BEING YOU and sharing the glimpses of you huge heart with all of us as they glisten my soul. I LOVE YOU JILL TINGEY SANDALL * ) Mary Eden

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my sweet Eden. Thank you. But know that you too, are inspiring. You make people at ease a feel loved,that is a true gift. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jill, I love your blog! And I had actually been thinking about volunteering at Camp Hobe even before reading this.. because if you're 15 you can go and help with food and activities and campfire songs and stuff... but I wasn't sure if I would want to do it where I'm only 15 so I can't really do a lot.... what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Em....do it! You will be a CIT (Counselor in training) and you will be very busy and do a lot. CIT's are a huge part and really needed. Put me as a reference if you want. You will love the experience!

    ReplyDelete