Site Search

x

Monday, October 11, 2010

One Lovely Mess

So this past Friday was the first time all 6 of us got to be in our new home together.  I picked up the kids after work and they went to Target with me to pick up some stuff for dinner.  We agreed to make spaghetti and I knew we were lacking pots and pans so we picked some up.  Sounds exciting and fun, right?  Well, it was but just not how I envisioned it!

The pots we bought were way too small....REALLY???  Note to self: Don't go cheap when buying cookware.  And we had no lids or cooking utensils.  We had two bags of different kinds of pasta that barely fit into the pot of water and Brandon had to stab cans of Tomato sauce because we lacked a can opener.  Now, I can cook and I love to cook but I need a recipe.  Brandon on the other hand, can look at what we have and whip up a meal.  It really isn't fair but I'm not complaining.  So he went to work on the sauce with Laura.  With no lids, we used one from my crock pot to cover the sauce with, which really didn't work all that well because it was too small.  I put bread in the oven and then forgot about it, so Brandon cut the burnt edges off in order to save it.  So with spaghetti sauce all over the stove and floor and burnt edges of bread cut into the sink we finally got to sit down and have dinner as a family in our new home.  Did I mention we didn't have a strainer for the noodles???

Eating dinner together, at a table, was the best.  We got to hear about the kids week and their favorite parts of the wedding and questions about Vegas.  The twins are learning sign language in school and Big Man must have shown Brandon over a dozen new signs.  Don't worry, I made sure the whole family can sign "Potty".  :)  After dinner, Brandon went with three of the four to investigate the neighborhood while LaLa stayed back with me.  She was concerned cuz I had some things that needed dusting!  Oh, I love her.  When I was doing the dishes, she and the oldest asked me, "Jill, do you like cleaning?"  when I said I do and asked why they told me it was, "because you always look so happy when you are doing it".  LOL 

LaLa helped us to make a list of things we need to get for our new home.  Pots and Pans and a can opener were put on it as well as knives and many other things.  I am proud to say we can take off pots and pans and kitchen knives as I went to Macy's with my mom on Saturday to get some decent ones.  WHEW!!!  Brandon broke them in by making me steak and shrimp Saturday night and an omelet on Sunday morning.  It is definitely hard when it comes time for the kids to go back to O-town but I feel so blessed to have them when they are with us.  Also, the kids and B discovered a path that goes to an old folks home and a video store We decided to try out the video store on Saturday and well, lets just say the organization is different from Blockbuster.  They have a Cowboy and Indian's section, and a Super Hero section.  During our time together, Big Man went around collecting snail shells.  He came into the kitchen with a bag of them and asked if I'd give them to my mom.  If that's not love, I don't know what is!

Brandon and I have been so blessed.  Not just in finding one another but in all the love and support we have been given over the past several months.  Both our families and several friends have stepped up to help and support us. My aunt and uncle opened up their home for our wedding and my brothers set up tables and chairs.  Brandon's sisters and mom made the majority of the food and were there early to help set up.  Members of my family cut more fruit than I care to know and my brother's wife made who knows how many small desserts!  My mom did amazing flower center pieces.  The list really goes on and I know I would forget people who helped with the wedding.  My friend made 5 cakes, one big and four small so all 6 of us could cut the cake together.  Two of his sisters completely cleaned our new place from top to bottom for me when I was at work, mowed our lawn and trimmed rose bushes.  The night we were moving, everyone was there to help.  I have been so overwhelmed by the help and love we are being shown.  Dinner being sent over, help moving, pictures being taken.  I keep trying to think how Brandon and I can ever thank all these people who have just come in and helped without our asking.  I know there really is no way to do so.  But I hope they all know how appreciated they are and how blessed we feel by having them in our lives.

I'm not sure what I'm trying to say here. We're blessed.  Despite the crap that goes on in daily life we sit at night and see the love and support in our lives and the love for each other.  That makes all the other "stuff" insignificant.  There are too many people to thank but we see the Lord's hand in our life and the countless blessings we are receiving.  Hopefully one day we get the chance to help back.

No comments:

Post a Comment