Site Search

x

Monday, November 14, 2011

Veteran's Day

This last Friday, Laura had a program at school for Veterans Day. She had invited Paul a while ago to come to it. She has been really excited for the program and excited to have her uncle come who has served multiple tours of duty in Iraq and Afghanistan. She also had her Grandpa come who worked on the planes for the Air Force. She was one excited girl. Paul was a part of the Army, 1st Calvary (One of the most deployed units in our country). He doesn't really talk about his experiences there a whole lot. He doesn't like a big deal to be made out of his service. He just is not big on any recognition. When he would be home on leave, I couldn't throw him a BBQ/Party, so I would have my own BBQ which all his friends were invited to and other family friends who wanted to see him. I just couldn't say it was for him.

He had to drive down from Logan and we were running a little late...I'm hollering at him to hurry up as we are heading into the school. His response??? "Jill. Incase you didn't know, it's Veterans Day. I've been to war. It's my holiday. This Veteran takes his time." HA!! We got to the program and stood in the back. There came a part where he was supposed to stand up so he could recieve some recognition. I had to kind of shove him out so that he could get a card. I knew he didn't really want the recognition, he was there for Laura. He has really taken to my cute new family.

I tease Paul that he never smiles. But he smiled for this. He smiled for Laura. And even though he likes to tease her, I will forever remember that moment of seeing him watch her sing and of remembering what it was like to have my brother fight in a war. I only know a handful of his experiences, and it is such a surreal feeling to know that while he was doing that, I was here. Irritated that the line at the drive thru was taking to long to get a coke while he was living out of a tank or a bombed out building.

He and I hung out for the rest of the day. During our drive, he made the comment that it is hard to be thanked for what he has done. There is nothing glorious about what he has seen and done. People say all the time that freedom isn't free. But really, it isn't and I wonder how many of us truly understand that?? Paul has experienced that first hand. So many of us truly will never grasp what it means to have freedom nor what the men and women who have fought for our freedom have gone through and done for us.

Well, Sgt. Paul Tingey, I know there is nothing glorious in it. But I am grateful that I have a brother who is a man (anyone ever wonder what a real man is like, check out my brothers). Who is not afraid to fight for the things we have and who recognizes it isn't glorious. You have been such an amazing brother and from the middle of a war, you have called me multiple times when you knew I was going through the hardest time of my life. You have moved mountains to make sure I am ok. Thank you for what you do for me!! I love you!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment