Site Search

x

Friday, March 23, 2012

Cooking, chores and fun

I recently bought a deep fryer. I got my hands on a recipe for deep fried s'mores. I love s'mores. A lot. I was quite excited to try this out. The deep fried s'mores were and epic fail. They were gross, nothing like an actual s'more, and just down right disappointing. I'm now left with a min-deep fryer. Now what? Doughnuts!! Thanks to Pinterest, I found a recipe for Krispy Kreme doughnuts. Those were a complete success!! Seriously so yummy when saved overnight for a fantastic breakfast. Thankfully when I made them the kids were here so I didn't have to eat them all alone. Brandon and Lilly then had the idea to make fries with the fryer. Those too, were amazing. Only Brandon or Lilly can make them right. I tried but it did not work. I think Lilly and Brandon were making fries for all of us all weekend long!! Alas, the deep fryer has died. We haven't made doughnuts or fries since but the few times we made them were a lot of fun. Big thanks goes out to the person who gave me a gift card to Kohls where I bought the deep fryer on sale. It was awesome while it lasted!

Once Liz turned 8, she could participate in what is called Activity Days at church. She gets together with girls her age in their ward a couple of times a month and do activities together...hence the name! She recently had her first Daddy Daughter Date. It had a 50's theme, so she busted out my old poodle skirt from my competition days and Brandon did his best to throw together a 50's look. I have never seen a more excited girl. The weeks leading up that night she would talk often about it. When she came home from the date she was glowing. She gave me the low down...Dad CANNOT hula hoop. "It was funny" were her exact words. However, Dad did win the bubble gum blowing contest at their table and Dad pulled her around on this cart with wheels and a rope and apparently that was "so fun!!!". Liz also did the hula hoop, she is "much better than Dad".

Brandon started a part time job in Home Health. He really likes it. He is not away from us too often and it has been a huge blessing. We are very grateful. Something neat has come of it for the kids and Brandon. On Saturday and Sunday mornings, he sees a patient pretty early in the morning. Each morning he takes one of the kids with him. They stop for a drink and they ride with and even get to meet his patient. Maybe this doesn't seem neat or like a big deal, but to Brandon it is. I think to the kids it is too. Nothing miraculous happens, just a drink and drive with Dad.

Charlie has GROWN!! He is still a puppy but not the size of one! He is doing really good with learning his commands. He struggles when the kids are here because he is just so excited to have them around and he just wants to play with them. When they go back to their grandpa's he wanders to each of their rooms. At first I didn't notice til I watched him one day. It's like he is checking to see where they are. Then he sits at the back door with a look of "where did they go??". He also gets excited when company comes over. He is 99.9% house trained (knock on wood) so I cleaned all our carpets and couches. WAHOO!! I'm trying to enforce a 'No Shoe' rule...Brandon said "Good Luck with that..." We'll see how it goes.

Well, I'm loving Plain City. We have a fantastic ward and I have made some really neat friends. It's nice. It's nice to get to know these girls up here and feel included. It is a huge blessing for me. We had a girls night out...Luke wanted to know what we talked about at those....My lips are sealed shut. Ha! Today I am just so grateful for our new home, our new ward, our new friends. Life is quite the chaotic storm for us but right down the center runs a thread of peace and stillness that I love and cling to.

So there are some of our adventures. Brandon and I are getting super excited about this great weather...we are itching to go fishing!! Wahoo!!!



Last Friday, the kids were out of school and so they were at our house. Liz and Luke decided they wanted to get their chores done Friday so they didn't have any big chores to do on Saturday...Luke had the kitchen. Luke is such a smart boy. I love how he makes what could be boring tasks fun. Check out how he did our dishes and kept hydrated as well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment